Facebook has launched its exclusive feature of video calling powered by Skype. A few days ago Skype did the same featuring deeper integration with Facebook where you can make video calls to your Facebook friends. Sadly Facebook introduced this feature only for Windows which has been a partiality for Linux and Mac users. The file that is required to download to enable video chat comes from the .exe format that is unsupported for both Mac and Linux. For those who are new to the video calling update, here’s the process of enabling the feature in Windows browsers:
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/videocalling.
- Click on Get Started.
- Select a friend from your chat list whom you want to call.
- Click on the video icon above the pop up chat window.
- A pop up window will come up asking to download a plugin named FacebookVideoCallSetup_v188.8.131.52.exe.
- Download and Install the plugin and start calling your friend.
Apart from this Best Techie has created a tutorial on setting up video calling in OS X Lion Browsers. According to them, due to some reasons the feature has been disabled for Mac due to its unofficial nature. Below are a few steps taken from Best Techie for enabling video calling for Mac browsers.
- Open Safari.
- Go to System Preferences.
- Under Advanced tab enable the developer menu.
- After clicking you will see a new menu option on the menu bar labeled “Develop”.
- Click on this and you can change the user-agent to something that will work with the Facebook Video Calling Service.
You can change the user-agent via a simple command in terminal. When Chrome is closed type the following in terminal.
open /Applications/Google Chrome.app –args -user-agent=”Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.2.1 Safari/525.19″
Download the User Agent Switcher plugin for Chrome, that will allow you to switch the user-agent directly within the browser.
Download User Agent Switcher 0.7.3 and select the user-agent from the image below.
Once you have modified the user-agent you may also need to enable Facebook Video Calling for the first time. To do this simply navigate to http://facebook.com/videocalling and click get started.
So get started with video calling on Mac. Read the original post here.